Chasing Chipmunks and other Travel “Tails”

On Thursday, I traveled to my sister’s home in the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania. It was a perfect day, really, with the sun shining and the temperature hovering around 80 all day. I didn’t encounter any road construction so it was smooth sailing the whole way. When I arrived, we had a scrumptious dinner at The Riverwalck Saloon, a Tex-Max Roadhouse along the Lehigh River in Parryville. If you are ever in the area, check it out. I would definitely recommend the Sweet Tea Porkchop which is marinated in sweet tea with a bourbon-molasses glaze. Yummy!!

Early yesterday morning, my sister wakened me to tell me she was taking my brother-in-law to the ER. He had some back pain earlier in the week, but by yesterday morning, it had escalated to serious pain and he actually agreed to go to the hospital. One knows it had to be bad for him to agree to that! As a US Veteran, Gary’s primary health care is given at the VA Hospital in Wilkes-Barre so they decided to go there (about an hour away) rather than go to the local hospital. I stayed behind with their three-year old Weimaraner Lindsey, whom they adopted through the Louisville Weimaraner Rescue in January. I had not met Lindsey prior to this trip. She is a dear sweet snuggly baby whose innate hunting prowess seizes her body when sensing a rabbit within a five-mile radius of her current location. When Kathy and Gary left, I took Lindsey out for her morning walk. After scaring squirrels, chasing chipmunks, terrorizing toads (she nearly bit the head off of one!), and literally sniffing every inch of Kathy and Gary’s wooded property, she finally did the business for which we (or at least I) had gone outside in the first place!

We returned to the house and I pulled on the sliding glass door to go inside, but it would not budge. I yanked, tugged, jiggled, hit and cursed that handle (under my breath, of course!), but the door would not open. It was locked. Oh no! I took a deep breath and proceeded to the back door of the house, and it, too, was locked. We walked up to the deck behind the kitchen and of course, that sliding glass door was locked. We went around to the front of the house, and you guessed it. The front door was locked, too. “Good Lord,” I cried, “why does my sister have to be so stinkin’ safety conscious?” Now fortunately, I was not in my pajamas and I had done my own business before taking Lindsey out to do hers, but I knew that it would be many hours before Kathy and Gary returned and we could get back into the house. I assessed the windows and those that were at my level were either too small or locked. And of course, I didn’t have my phone with me. I had consciously left it on the table by the back door, reminding myself that it was not an appendage and I didn’t need to have it with me every moment of every day. “Good Lord,” I said to myself, “why did you have to start that new practice today?” Humph.

Lindsey and I returned to the deck where she sniffed and I stewed. Coming to grips with the situation after a long conversation with myself and with God, I decided we should head up the road to see if we could find a neighbor. I was very grateful that I had put Lindsey on her leash before we came outside as she was very excited to have new territory to explore. We stopped at the first driveway up the road. I took a deep breath, praying that there was someone at home and that the person would let me use the phone. We walked down the driveway and up to the steps to the house. A little dog appeared in the window and he and Lindsey sniffed each other through the glass. I knocked on the door and could see and hear the movement of children through the window. Whew! Someone was home. The kids were yelling, “Mom, someone’s at the door … I don’t know … she looks like you!” After several minutes, a woman clad in a bathrobe with a towel wrapped around her head, opened the door. I told her who I was and explained the situation. She brought me her cordless phone and the kids came out to pet the dog. Since I no longer dial phone numbers (they are programmed into my phone), I couldn’t remember my sister’s cell phone number. I dialed what I thought was hers, but it wasn’t. I then asked the woman if I could make a long distance call. She said, “Sure.” I said I was calling my parents. She asked where they lived and then looked at me funny when I told her they lived in Indiana. I reached my parents who left a message for my sister. They said that they would also try to find the phone numbers of my sister’s friend who has a key to the house. I thanked them and the bathrobe lady profusely. The kids brought Lindsey some treats for the road, saying, “You never know. It might be a while.” I laughed.

Lindsey and I trekked back down the road; she, still sniffing with me snickering at the irony of the situation. A few hours later, Kathy’s friend Jen pulled up. Through a series (which I am still not sure I can connect) of voicemails and text messages among my parents and friends of friends, Jen learned of the situation and came to save the day! All was well. Actually, all had been well even before she pulled up. Lindsey and I shared some great bonding time and I was reminded again to just live in the moment.

Kathy and Gary returned a few hours later with some meds for Gary’s pain, a TENS unit, and the directive that he should rest for a few days. That’s quite a tall order for him. Your prayers for both Kathy and Gary are appreciated.

So … that’s the scoop for now. Until next time, peace …

Lindsey resting after our morning ordeal. She slept for three hours!

This entry was posted in Rambling, Vacation and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Chasing Chipmunks and other Travel “Tails”

  1. elizabeth says:

    I love to read your “ramblings”! But Tex-Mex in the Pocanos!! that in itself is too funny – hope to hear from you soon.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s